Your Ultimate Guide to Instant Hedging
Your Ultimate Guide to Instant Hedging
Instant hedging is precisely as the name suggests – mature hedge plants that are cultivated and nurtured to be ready for immediate installation upon delivery. Also known as ready-made or pre-grown hedging, is revolutionising outdoor landscaping with immediate impact and convenience. Unlike traditional hedge planting methods that require years of waiting for hedges to reach desired heights and densities, instant hedges offer an instant transformation of outdoor spaces, making them an attractive option for those seeking immediate greenery solutions.
Benefits of Instant Hedges
- Time-Saving: Instant hedges save valuable time by providing immediate results, eliminating the need to wait for traditional hedges to mature.
- Versatility: Available in a variety of species, heights, and forms, instant hedges offer endless design possibilities for privacy screening, property boundaries and aesthetic enhancements.
- Immediate Privacy and Security: With their dense foliage and mature growth, instant hedges offer instant privacy and security for residential and commercial properties.
- Environmental Benefits: While instant hedges may require a higher upfront investment, they offer long-term environmental benefits by reducing the need for chemical fertilisers and pesticides typically used during the initial stages of hedge growth.
Types of Instant Hedging
- Privet (Ligustrum spp.): Privet hedges are popular for their dense foliage, fast growth, and ability to withstand pruning. Common varieties include California privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) and Japanese privet (Ligustrum japonicum).
- Boxwood (Buxus spp.): Boxwood hedges are prized for their evergreen foliage, compact growth habit, and versatility in various garden styles. Popular varieties include American boxwood (Buxus sempervirens) and English boxwood (Buxus sempervirens ‘Suffruticosa’).
- Yew (Taxus spp.): Yew hedges are known for their dark green foliage, tolerance of shade, and ability to be shaped into formal or informal designs. Common varieties include English yew (Taxus baccata) and Japanese yew (Taxus cuspidata).
- Holly (Ilex spp.): Holly hedges are prized for their glossy, spiky foliage and colourful berries, adding year-round interest to the landscape. Popular varieties include American holly (Ilex opaca) and Japanese holly (Ilex crenata).
- Leyland Cypress (x Cupressocyparis leylandii): Leyland cypress hedges (or Leylandii as they’re commonly known) are valued for their fast growth, tall stature, and ability to create a dense, evergreen screen. They are ideal for larger properties and windbreaks.
- Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus): Laurel hedges are valued for their dense, glossy foliage and tolerance of a wide range of growing conditions. Popular varieties include English laurel (Prunus laurocerasus ‘Rotundifolia’) and Portuguese laurel (Prunus lusitanica), both of which provide excellent privacy screening and ornamental value in gardens and landscapes.
- Portuguese Laurel (Prunus lusitanica): Portuguese laurel hedges are known for their dark green, leathery leaves and compact growth habit, making them ideal for formal hedging or topiary. They thrive in a variety of soil types and climates, providing year-round interest with their evergreen foliage and fragrant white flowers.
- Griselinia (Griselinia littoralis): Griselinia hedges are prized for their vibrant green foliage and fast growth rate, making them an excellent choice for creating a lush, tropical look in gardens and landscapes. They tolerate coastal conditions well and can be easily shaped and pruned to maintain their desired size and form.
- Photinia Red Robin (Photinia x fraseri): Photinia Red Robin Hedges are renowned for their striking red new growth, which provides a burst of colour in spring and summer. With their dense, evergreen foliage and tolerance of pruning, they make an attractive and vibrant addition to any garden or landscape.
- Elaeagnus Ebbingei (Elaeagnus x ebbingei): Elaeagnus Ebbingei hedges are valued for their silver-gray foliage, fragrant flowers, and tolerance of a wide range of growing conditions. They are drought-tolerant once established and provide year-round interest with their evergreen foliage and silvery undersides.
- Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus): Hornbeam hedges are prized for their dense, lush foliage and tolerance of heavy pruning, making them an excellent choice for formal hedging or topiary. They provide a classic, elegant look in gardens and landscapes and can tolerate a variety of soil types and growing conditions.
- Thuja (Thuja spp.): Thuja hedges, commonly known as arborvitae, are valued for their dense, coniferous foliage and tall, columnar growth habit. They provide excellent privacy screening and windbreaks and are available in a variety of cultivars, including Thuja occidentalis ‘Brabant’ and Thuja plicata ‘Green Giant’
Considerations for Installation
- Site Preparation: Ensure the planting site is well-prepared with adequate soil preparation and drainage to promote healthy hedge growth.
- Watering and Maintenance: Provide regular watering and maintenance, especially during the first few months after installation, to help the hedges establish themselves in their new environment.
- Species Selection: Choose hedge species that are well-suited to your climate, soil type, and desired aesthetic, ensuring long-term success and enjoyment of your instant hedges.
Instant Hedging Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly are instant hedges?
Instant hedges are fully grown hedge plants that are cultivated and nurtured to be ready for immediate installation upon delivery. They offer an instant solution for creating green boundaries and enhancing outdoor spaces.
How do instant hedges differ from traditional hedge planting?
Traditional hedge planting involves starting with young, small plants and waiting for them to grow and fill in over time. Instant hedges, on the other hand, are already fully matured and provide immediate results without the waiting period.
What are the benefits of choosing instant hedging?
Instant hedges save time by providing immediate results, offer versatility in design options, provide instant privacy and security, and offer environmental benefits by reducing the need for chemical inputs during the initial growth stages.
What hedge species are available as instant hedges?
Popular hedge species available as instant hedges include Privet, Yew, Laurel (common and Portuguese) Holly, Thuja and others, each with its own unique characteristics and aesthetic appeal.
How are instant hedges installed?
Installing instant hedges typically involves preparing the planting site, digging trenches for the plants, positioning the hedges, and ensuring proper watering and maintenance post-installation to help them establish themselves in their new environment.
What considerations should I keep in mind when choosing instant hedging for my property?
Consider factors such as your climate, soil type, desired height and density of the hedge, and aesthetic preferences when selecting instant hedges for your property.
Are instant hedges more expensive than traditional hedge planting methods?
While instant hedges may have a higher upfront cost due to their maturity, they often provide long-term cost savings by eliminating the need for years of maintenance and waiting for traditional hedges to grow.
How long do instant hedges take to establish themselves after installation?
Instant hedges typically require regular watering and maintenance during the first few months after installation to help them establish their roots and adapt to their new environment.
Can instant hedges be shaped and pruned after installation?
Yes, instant hedges can be shaped and pruned to maintain their desired height, density, and form, allowing for flexibility in design and maintenance.
Where can I purchase instant hedging?
With the convenience, quality assurance, expert advice, and excellent customer service offered by Hedging UK ordering your Instant Hedging Online has never been easier. Create a stunning and resilient Instant Hedge for your garden by placing your order today.